You could say we’re on a roll with all these recipes using our 99% Sugar Free Cake Mixes…
Which means we’ve got a brand new recipe for you to try just in time for the cooler weather! This is your ultimate Winter-warmer dessert – it’s indulgent, satisfying and wholly comforting, without the excessive sugar overload. It even comes loaded with cream cheese frosting. What’s not to love?!
For the scrolls:
- 125g melted butter or Nuttelex Lite
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon powder
- 1 x Noshu Vanilla Velvet Cake Mix sachet
- 2 ½ cups plain flour (plus more for dusting)
- 2 ½ tsp dry active yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- Natural sweetener of choice equivalent to ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup chopped nuts of choice (pecans or walnuts)
For the glaze:
- 1x Noshu Vanilla Velvet Icing Mix sachet
- 3 tbsp milk or nut milk
For the scrolls:
Preheat oven to 180°C conventional / 170°C fan.
Brush a large pyrex or ceramic dish with melted butter / Nuttelex and dust with 2 tbsp cinnamon.
In large mixing bowl, mix together dry cake mix sachet, flour, and yeast. Pour warm water into the mixture and using your hands, fold the mixture into a dough. Transfer dough onto a floured surface, and knead for another 5 minutes.
Using another large mixing bowl, lightly grease the sides with oil. Transfer the kneaded dough to this bowl, place more oil on top of the dough and cover the top with a tea towel. Place in a warm spot for an hour and allow to prove until the dough doubles in size.
Remove the dough from the bowl, transfer to a floured surface and use rolling pin to flatten and spread the dough to 1cm thickness. Brush the dough with the remaining melted butter until evenly coated.
Mix the natural sweetener and remaining cinnamon together in a separate bowl and sprinkle over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the chopped nuts evenly over the surface of the dough.
Roll the dough up by picking up the edge closest to you, pinching slightly, and curling the dough away from you (tip: roll tightly so you get multiple layers in your scroll!). You should have one long log-shaped piece from which you can cut individual pieces.
Cut the log into 5cm long pieces, and place each piece filling-side up into your baking dish.
Bake uncovered in oven for 25 minutes, or until the rolls have browned on top and doubled in size. While the scrolls are baking, prepare your glaze.
For the glaze:
Add the contents of 1 x Noshu Vanilla Velvet Icing Mix sachet into a small bowl and whisk till smooth with 3 tbsp milk of choice.
Remove the scrolls from the oven, pour the glaze over the tops evenly then return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes until the scrolls are fully cooked through and glaze has become thick and sticky. Serve warm.
- This recipe makes 12 cinnamon rolls
- Nutritional information (per serve, 1 scroll + glaze, using Nuttelex Lite and almond milk glaze): 385 calories, 17.8g Fat (8g Saturated Fat), 44g Carbs (12g Fibre, 0.5g Sugar), 8g Protein, 243mg Sodium.
- Serve fresh, or store rolls either frozen (without frosting) or store them in an air-tight container in the fridge with frosting on top for up to 5 days.